One’s success can be determined by how well they are in communication and how they are delivering their thoughts to others. For every leader, business conversation must be good in order to yield success. In leadership you have three types of communication. They are self-communication, public or group communication and one to one communication. Generally, a leader’s victory directly relies on their ability to focus on business fundamentals. Effective and strong leaders have fundamentals such as accountability, discipline, strategic alignment, for maintain their values as well as for empowering employees. In addition with, the leaders should have mastered the 6 basic management functions, leading, organizing, planning, controlling, staffing and communication.
What qualities does leaders should have?
If anyone wants to be good leader, then they must have good communication. Regardless of people talking about the business, the best leaders will be the first-rate communicators. If their business needs to reach the new benchmark or achievement, they should master the art of effective and clear communication. Some of the qualities are as follows:
- Need to communicate with specificity: Effective communication is must and it gives clear context to another party. Before speaking anything they must think about what they are going to speak and how others will response for those words. While speaking, leaders must avoid lazy phrases and this will help them get the best art of conversation in business.
- Need to communicate with desirable behaviors: Beginning from childhood, many people are constantly told what they should not do. Parents are the first persons to tell these things often by explaining alternative desirable behavior. Successful communicators focus more on positives and describe negatives in a way so other can turn them into their strength.
- Need to communicate with urgency, immediacy, and promptness: Mastering the promptness skill can be challenging, since delaying and procrastinating at times make conversations difficult to understand at work. Being a leader you should never let conversations to become boring for listeners and if in case you have to speak for long, prefer sharing essential point that are required the most at that point of time.
- Need to communicate with respectful rebuttals: Debating is good for business if it is done in a healthy way. For a healthy and fruitful discussion people participating must be productive and polite. Communicating in impolite manner during a conversation takes debate to a wrong direction. Use of words like “however” and “but” will make things confusing for others, leave a negative impact, and also won’t let others to express their opinion.
- Need to communicate with correct body language and voice: Choosing right body language and voice tone makes the conversation more positive. It is an easy way to engage people, and showcases the how potential speaker the leader is.
- Need to communicate with focus: Communicating to other with focused attention depends a lot on the body language. Making eye contact with employees, will grab attention of people. When you know what to speak and in front of whom, you deliver your thoughts more clearly.
- Need to communicate with candour: The key element to maintain the candourness, while being respectful to others is leaving emotions, blame, and opinions out of the conversation. Mastering the skill of conversation is not rocket science, but yes it takes time. Communication help leaders build high relationships with employee or business partners to create a better professional, personal and organizational relationship.